Teaching online is a great way to earn from your knowledge from the comfort of your home. Today, the services of tutors are in demand, and distance learning allows you to reach a large audience.
In the modern world, tutoring is becoming an increasingly popular service. Schoolchildren prepare for the Unified State Examination, adults learn languages, undergo advanced training, acquire new skills and knowledge.
This activity can generate additional income or become the main activity. It all depends on how you manage to organize the work and how many clients you find.
In fact, all you need to start is a computer with Internet access and your knowledge.
In the article, we will look at how to organize online tutoring and how much you can earn from it.
The profession of an online tutor is not only convenient, but also in demand. Whatever knowledge you have, you can earn on it. First of all, we are talking about tutors who work with school programs. Usually, these are people with a narrow special education – mathematicians, linguists, etc. The scope of their activities is limited to one subject area.
You can teach in different areas, using the knowledge and skills that you possess. The most popular area of tutoring is the school curriculum, especially if the subject is in the USE: mathematics, Russian language, physics, chemistry, history, social studies, biology, computer science, etc. The most popular area of tutoring is English, since it is relevant not only for schoolchildren, but also for all people who want to learn a foreign language or improve their skills.
However, tutoring is not limited to preparing for the exam. Lessons in music and drawing, acting and vocals are also, in fact, tutoring. You can organize programming courses for the little ones, various creative circles, English courses, etc. Determine what skill you have and what you can teach, in what area you can become an expert, what experience you are ready to share.
By answering these questions for yourself, you can choose a direction.
Pros and cons of online tutoring
Consider the features of this profession. Let’s start with the benefits:
- Work at home. You do not have to spend time on the road, money – on renting an audience. This will allow you to earn more and offer the client a better price for your services.
- Savings on training materials. You do not have to buy textbooks and spend money on class materials. All this will be replaced by electronic materials: files with assignments, presentations, etc.
- All you need is a computer with Internet access and video calling software.
- No start-up capital required.
- You can independently adjust the work schedule by choosing a convenient time for classes.
- High earning potential. The tutor can set the hourly rate and adjust the amount of work himself. In theory, a tutor’s income is unlimited, but in practice, this is influenced by many factors: from your professional self-esteem to the amount of work that you are able to perform.
- Tutoring can be both a source of additional income and the main activity.
Now let’s talk about the disadvantages:
- High competition. As the demand for services grows, so does the supply. To count on a good stable income, you have to compete with competitors. Firstly, it is a matter of customer confidence: specialized diplomas, certificates and documents confirming your competence will be an advantage. Secondly, there is the problem of promotion: you will have to actively promote your services in order to gain an audience.
- Unstable income. This is true for any profession that involves the provision of services on the Internet. They can leave you for another tutor – in the online mode there are no such “bindings” of the client, such as, for example, a good location. Thanks to the Internet space, a person can find a more profitable replacement if the tutor does not suit him with something. In addition, the dependence of classes on the Internet entails various force majeure: the Internet does not work well, the communication program slows down, the lights are turned off … All this can disrupt the lesson – and negatively affect the quality of classes.
Step by step plan: how to organize online tutoring
Below is a step-by-step plan to help you get started:
Step 1. Assess the level of your knowledge and determine the target audience . If you are new to tutoring, it is better to start with the school curriculum, teach elementary and middle school students, or prepare preschoolers. To prepare students for the exam, you will need to complete the appropriate training programs, because. requirements change annually.
Step 2. Decide on the program and working materials. You should have a clear plan for how your classes will go, what program, what additional materials you will use, etc.
Step 3. Schedule your classes. Decide what hours and days you can teach. At the same time, do not forget that there should be silence in the room where the computer is located. Nobody should disturb you.
Step 4. Practice in advance. Check that the Internet works well, and the communication program does not slow down – the quality of the lesson depends on this. Rehearse the lesson, see how long it takes. If you don’t know where to start and how to conduct online classes, see how competitors do it: many videos and presentations can be found in the public domain.
Step 5. Consider registering your activity. Tutoring belongs to the category requiring registration as self-employed. This is a convenient form of taxation with a rate of 4%.
Step 6. Choose a program for communication. Today it is much easier to organize online learning, because there are many platforms and special programs for this. Next, we will analyze in detail which programs are suitable for online tutoring and what are their advantages.
Step 7. Place ads to find clients. There are many ways to find clients for online tutoring. These are announcements, and, and word of mouth, which can bring many students to you. Service promotion tools will be discussed further.
Where to begin
At first glance, the job of a tutor seems simple. But in practice, this turns into a complex process that requires preparation and attention to detail.
You need to start by determining the level of your qualifications and, based on this, your target audience. It is easier for beginner tutors to start with the school curriculum. To do this, you do not have to develop a special course, but it will be enough to adhere to the standards of the Ministry of Education. If you are a specialized specialist, then you can start with any level of complexity. As a rule, the workflow is structured as follows: first, the teacher gets acquainted with the student, studies the level of his knowledge, and then builds a learning strategy.
How to choose material for classes
Regardless of what direction, subject, program you are engaged in, you will have to prepare for classes and prepare material. You should have a clear lesson plan and additional material for it: presentation, exercise, infographic, etc.
The submission form can be peeped from your colleagues. You can also get current questions on specialized forums and in thematic groups in social networks.
As a rule, tutors make up additional materials for classes themselves, focusing on individual work with the student: his goals, level of preparation, interests and age.
It is better to make the first lesson organizational in order to immediately agree on the format of work and analyze knowledge. Often this activity is free.
How to make a work schedule
Online classes require the tutor to observe precise time management. You should have a clear work schedule – and it is important to make it as convenient as possible for both yourself and the students.
First you need to determine how many hours a day you can work. Keep in mind that not only class time is taken into account here, but also time for preparation, promotion, etc.
For convenience, you can highlight the areas of your work. For example:
- preparation and conduct of classes;
- work with clients;
Create a convenient schedule by saving the total number of working hours per week and distributing them in different directions.
Now let’s take a closer look at the work schedule. The specificity of tutoring lies in the fact that the main time of classes falls on the period from 14:00 to 21:00. 4pm and 5pm are the busiest times.
Usually students study 1-2 times a week. For effective work, classes must be systematic and without long breaks. Based on this, we form a schedule.
A common mistake: tutors try to fill the class time as much as possible within one day, without breaks. This is wrong and negatively affects the quality of work. Be sure to include a break between classes.
What do you need to organize your work?
To conduct online classes, you need the following:
- computer or laptop with a webcam. On laptops, it is built-in, and for a computer, you can purchase it separately. It is not very expensive, it is connected via USB-connector. In a word – there is nothing complicated in the technical equipment;
- headphones with a microphone so that you can be heard clearly;
- Internet access with good speed – the quality of communication and, accordingly, the quality of the lesson depends on this;
- a communication program or an Internet platform for conducting classes. Let’s talk about this in more detail.
Platforms for conducting online classes:
Today, there are many platforms and programs for video conferencing and online classes. Which one is suitable for a tutor? What are their pros and cons? Consider the most popular services.
- Skype is a free application that is available on both computers and smartphones. In the program, you can conduct group lessons for up to 50 people and communicate in a group chat. Communication time is not limited. The only negative – and that is insignificant – all participants will have to register in the program in advance.
- Zoom – the site appeared not so long ago, but has already managed to gain popularity. To connect a student to the broadcast, just send him a link to the scheduled conference. Here you can hold group classes and connect up to 100 participants. Minus – the limited broadcast time is 40 minutes.
- Yandex.Tutorial is an educational platform where you can broadcast video, set tasks, and track statistics. It is completely free and works in the browser – you do not need to download or install anything. There is a general chat function where you can also exchange files. The disadvantage is that the lesson is limited to 30 minutes.
- Social media. Social networks allow you to conduct classes in groups and communities specially created for this. One of the easiest and most affordable ways, since everyone has an account on social networks. Disadvantage: for classes you will have to install a special application; and also in social networks there is a lot of distracting information.
- Messengers (Whats app) – they can be installed both on the phone and on the computer. It is convenient if you conduct individual lessons or consultations. Video calls, chat are available here, where you can exchange files, including voice messages and audio. It is also possible to create a group chat. The disadvantage is that it is inconvenient to use for group lessons with video.
- Youtube – here you can also broadcast live and communicate via chat. The platform is free. The main disadvantage is advertising banners that can appear during the broadcast and distract from the educational process.
- Google HangOuts – This platform is suitable for those who have a Google account. The service is quite simple, it allows you to communicate and share files via Google.Disk. The main disadvantage is that no more than 10 participants can take a lesson, and there is also no “screen sharing” function.
Where to look for students
Start searching for students with word of mouth. This method is especially effective if you are an experienced teacher. Tell your friends that you are recruiting a group of students as a tutor. Offer a free trial lesson. Surely this way you will be able to find the first students. Then you can count on feedback and dissemination of information.
However, now the most common advertising on the Internet. On what resources to place it?
Social media. We can say that this is a kind of “word of mouth”. Almost everyone now has an account on social networks. Use these resources to find potential clients.
You can leave an announcement in VKontakte groups or just actively participate in the discussion of specialized topics. Visit forums and groups where people communicate according to their interests: parents of schoolchildren; students and adults learning languages.
The forums of your fellow tutors are also suitable . Among the participants in the discussions are not only specialists, but also parents of schoolchildren. Actively participate in discussions – this way you will attract the attention of a potential audience, as well as get useful information.
Another option for using social networks is that you can create a work account as a tutor, share useful information, talk about your professional activities in order to establish yourself as a specialist. And this is a great chance to attract customers. The main feature of the promotion of tutors is personification. People trust a specific person more than an impersonal ad. Thanks to social networks, you can get to know potential customers and win them over.
Free message boards . There are many advertising platforms where you can advertise your services. Prepare a resume, respond to your favorite job ads. Sites like Avito, SuperJob, etc. are suitable for this.
Business card site . You can create your own one-page website to advertise your services, attach student testimonials, etc. You can do it for free too.
Areas for tutors. There are also various exchanges and online schools that act as an intermediary between students and teachers. For its services, the service charges a commission from earnings, but then you do not have to independently search for customers and promote.
Consider the most common services for tutors.
1. YouDo – here you can place applications for teaching and learning. The resource is aimed at students and young teachers. The scheme of work is as follows: you place your ad or respond to the student’s application yourself. The first response is free, and you will have to pay for subsequent ones.
2. Foxford is one of the most popular sites for online tutors and students in grades 3-11. You will have to register on the site to teach any lessons of the school curriculum and in-depth classes.
3. Repetit.ru – the service includes a database for tutors in Moscow and the Moscow region. The teacher registers and fills out the questionnaire. It takes 1-3 days to check. After that, the tutor gets access to student applications. For attracting students, the service charges a one-time fee in the amount of the cost of 2 lessons.
4. Preply is an international platform for online tutoring. After registering, you can start teaching. The resource presents not only the exact sciences and the school curriculum, but also needlework. A fee is charged for conducting a lesson through the platform.
5. Italki – the service specializes in teaching and learning foreign languages. More than 5 million students are registered on the platform. To get started, the tutor must register their profile, specifying the hourly rate and the cost of the trial lesson, as well as providing a short presentation about themselves. Any language can be taught.
6. Profi.ru is an exchange of specialists from different fields: from a repairman to a lawyer. Including for professionals working online. There are especially many English tutors here. Here you can leave your announcement or respond to the application of the student. The first response is free, and you will have to pay for subsequent ones. The advantage of the platform is that it is one of the largest databases of clients and performers. The main disadvantage is the high commission. Now a one-time payment is the cost of 2-3 lessons.
7. TETRIKA is an exchange for tutors who specialize in the school curriculum. The service is interested in attracting professional teachers, therefore making high demands:
- Minimum teaching experience – 2 years;
- Passing testing and training;
- Filling out the questionnaire with the provision of a diploma of education and other documents certifying qualifications.
After registration, you get access to applications and various functions of the platform. For example, there is a calculator here where you can calculate the approximate income per month. And if you work at least 40 hours a month, the platform gives you a bonus.Another way to find students for online tutoring is specialized sites . For example, Yandex.Services, Tutor.ru, 5 easy and others. The more your ad is presented on various platforms, the higher the probability of finding students. Therefore, do not limit yourself to one type of advertising platform.
How much do online tutors earn
It is very difficult to name a specific amount, since various factors will affect your earnings:
- your experience and reputation. It is clear that proven professionals, about whom many have heard, will be more in demand – and the price tag for services will be higher. If you are new to this business, then at first the price tag will have to be reduced.
- Service demand. The most popular direction in tutoring is English. Lessons to learn it will cost more than less common languages. But the competition in the niche will be much more. Also, demand has a seasonality – for example, subjects for which you need to take the exam have a seasonal demand – from January to May, and the rest of the time, income can drop significantly.
- Type of occupation. It is logical that individual lessons are more expensive than group lessons. But this does not mean that you need to focus on individual lessons. Vice versa. In sum, group classes give you more, take less time, and are generally more rewarding.
- Number of students and classes per month. The amount of work is the main factor.
- City of residence of teacher and student. Even in online classes, where you live matters. In the capital, people are willing to pay 1,500 thousand for one lesson, while the cost of a lesson in a small town can be 400-500 rubles. Also, the difference in prices may depend on the level of the program in which the student is engaged.
- The tutor’s income is also affected by such a factor as the cancellation or rescheduling of lessons due to the student’s fault. Managing this risk is difficult, so you just need to be prepared for it and take it into account when planning your income.
So, how much can you earn from online tutoring? If you rely on the data of job sites and the answers of online teachers, then on average such activities bring from 25 to 40 thousand rubles per month.
Pitfalls in the work of a tutor
Online tutoring has many advantages as a type of activity: a quick start, demand for services, high income, etc. However, you should be aware of the difficulties that you may encounter in doing so.
- High competition. Tutoring is a very in-demand service on the internet, so get ready to compete. This can be done through cost adjustments, active promotions, as well as individual solutions that you offer to your client.
- Lower prices for services . Trying to compete in the market, newcomers are ready to work for a penny, just to attract customers. Because of this, other tutors suffer: they either lose some of the clients, or are forced to reduce the cost of the service.
- Seasonality of demand . Even the most demanded tutor will inevitably face this problem. Summer is the off season. Few of the students are motivated to study.
- Income instability . This problem is connected not only with the seasonality of demand, but also with the behavior of students. Relationships with them are difficult to regulate. Very rarely, tutors stipulate payment terms in advance in case of missing classes. But the transfers and cancellations of classes themselves happen quite often. The reasons can be varied: ranging from “fell ill” and ending with “the Internet was turned off.” Classes can be canceled in advance or at the very last moment. And it’s good if it can be rescheduled for another time. Otherwise, you will simply lose money.
- Limited time for classes. The most demanded hours are from 14:00 to 18:00. In order not to lose potential earnings in the morning, try to find clients who will be comfortable with such a schedule. These can be small children or adults whose employment allows them to study in the morning.
- The difficulty of working with groups. On the one hand, it is beneficial to work with a group of students, but if one student misses a lesson, this will affect the learning of others. Such issues are difficult to resolve.
Online tutoring is a great chance to make money online using your knowledge and skills. This format is suitable both as a side job and as the main activity. Online learning is now in demand more than ever, and in the future the demand for such services will be even higher. So get started right now! What’s more, it doesn’t require any investment to get started.